Saturday, October 21, 2006

Why Eberron?


Why indeed? There must be some reason that I want to set my module in the world of Eberron. Some of it is nostalgia. Yes, Eberron is a new world, but I broke my RPGing teeth on the OD&D world of Mystara (or the Known World as it was called back in the day), and although I loved that setting (and still do) there were several things about it that just didn't sit right with me. Eberron has many of the qualities that I liked about Mystara (such as intrigue, diverse nations and cultures, dragons who are more than treasure guardians, and the potential for very epic story lines) with fewer of the downsides.

So which of these qualities do I want to show through in my NWN2 module? Intrigue is definitely number one on the list. That means there will have to be secrets for the PCs to discover, power players working behind the scenes weaving a web of lies and deciet for the PCs to be caught up in, and of course some way for the PCs to figure all of this out.


I also want the PCs to be able to control their own destiny (at least to some extent - there are limits of what one can do within the constraints of NWN). Translated directly for my module I think this means that there need to be several possible tracks that the PCs can take, all possibly leading to a different ending.

No comments: